Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Half way 'round Denver Botanic Gardens August 30, 2015

Caesalpinia gilliesii
 I've really not had a good walk around our York Street gardens for over two months (between traveling and recovering from traveling). Yesterday (after my budget meeting with the boss) I decided it was time to take a stroll. I got through little more than half of the Gardens (a lot less than that if you factor in the Children's garden, the Greenhouses and Conservatory--and let's not even talk about Chatfield and Mt. Goliath!)...I was charmed by the variety of plants and the wonderful design. I hope you will be too! Oh yes: the Bird of Paradise Shrub made it fine through the last two hideous winters!

Caesalpinia gilliesii
 A view of our largest specimen outside the Bistro.

The O'Fallon Border is exquisite right now...

The first Michaelmas asters are kicking in

The mix of yellow and pink reminds me of the Drakensberg--a common combo there.

Common, I know: but Rudbeckia triloba looks so good here!



Isn't THIS a cool combo of Pennisetum and Rhus?


Quite the transformation: the first year for the new El Pomar beds--I like the look...

Holloway doing his magic...

One of the many Deborah Buttefield horses on the grounds
 Our sculpture exhibit this year is polar opposite of Chihuly: subtle and understated: they seem to complement the garden rather than compete with it...I always want to touch these and see if they're really made of bronze. But I don't (being a good citizen!)...OK. Maybe once.


The Schlessman Plaza is always alluring...

This clematis has bloomed for months.






Fragrance garden vista.


I was delighted this Agapanthus came through our "Polar Vortex" winter so well.

I love the echo of the Chihuly in the dahlia in front.
















Impatiens balfourii conquering the world (or a piece of the world)





Impatiens bicolor doing its imperialistic thing...

Impatiens bicolor





Melinis nerviglume  South African plaza

South African plaza

South African plaza

South African plaza crevice garden with annuals and ice plants.


South African plaza abutting Plains garden

Indian Grass (Sorghastrum nutans)

Desert spoon (Dasylirion texanum) in Dryland Mesa

Plains garden


Liatris punctata not blooming very figorously: too dry the last two months?






Stipa in the Rock Alpine Garden

Origanum 'Kent Beauty'


Bevy of Pelargoniums around rock garden work area....

Lainie's cutting garden

Soon to be transformed rose garden

Lainie's cutting garden

Part of the Promenade (that's what I call the long pathway in front of the Orangery)


There has been a steady crowd of people in front of "Stinkie"--Amorphophallus titanum, here they are watching a video of the plant's transformations: it has attracted tens of thousands of additional visitors over the last month, and the interest has not yet been slaked.

The rain was coming down heavily, and my tour had to end...maybe if you ask I'll take another walk today and finish it?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, please do! And can you tell us what the plant is, in the foreground of DSC03955.jpg? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plant you asked about, HB, is Physostegia virginiana--a pale pink, rather compact form. No cultivar name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to see more photos! Yes, please....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the "quick" tour of DBG...must be nice to be back home. The Dryland Mesa and Bird of Paradise look great, but they remind me to get to work and leave my home...slow getting started today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Panayoti, the DBG is amazing!! Thank you for the tour. Can't wait to see the other half.

    Donna in Nova Scotia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should thank you. The images in my mind after watching the news make it hard to sleep. As I am trying to fall asleep I often try to think of one of the tours you share with us all. This helps me have better dreams.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive