Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A REAL xeriscape


Pictures do not do the Barnett garden justice. I have been lucky enough to visit hundreds (maybe thousands?) of great gardens in many countries, but Don and Celia's Pueblo xeriscape rates near the top. Nestled in a pleasant suburb not far from CSU campus in North Pueblo, whenever I turn the corner and see this shocking, extravagant and faithful tribute to our Southwestern canyonlands my heart skips a beat: if I had not visited this great garden repeatedly I wouldn't believe it was possible to pack a hundred species of penstemons and many times that of cacti, lots of other native wildflowers and shrubs and have it in glorious bloom whenever I drop by. And it's beautiful in the dormant season. And needless to say, they water with a teacup.
I've never asked, but I doubt if the Barnetts have "studied" gardening formally in school. And I doubt if they are botanically trained. But you would be hard put to find a botanic garden with as much integrity in its vision and execution. This underscores for me that horticulture is supremely an amateur art: amateur (remember?) means lover: these lovers of plants and gardens who are not burdened with too much academia invariably surpass us working grunts with degrees and credentials! Luckily, I can go back to school in their garden...

2 comments:

  1. In an earlier post someone was looking for Exochorda - Otooles has E. X macrantha 'The Bride' (also Fothergilla 'Blue Mist')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Thanks for the tip...will check 'em out!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive